In this Vine-style video learn how to identify electrical boxes in your attic and seal leaks around them using spray foam and insulation. By sealing these gaps you can save money, save energy, make your home more comfortable, and reduce the emissions that contribute to climate change. And, it’s easy to do yourself.
Here are the steps for air sealing electrical boxes in your attic:
1. For safety, you may want to turn off power going to the fixture that’s beneath the electrical box.
2. Carefully enter your attic (and use a piece of plywood across joists to safely walk or crawl around).
3. Push back any existing insulation around the box.
4. Look for gaps around the base of the box.
5. Using spray foam, carefully spray the foam into the gaps around the box. You may want to also spray foam into holes within the box itself as air can leak from those holes. Let foam dry and cure for at least 30 minutes.
6. Move existing insulation back into place over the dried foam.
7. If necessary, turn your power back on.
8. You’re done with this step! Now there are a couple of other things you can do to improve your home’s energy efficiency:
– Make sure you have enough insulation in your attic; learn how to measure your insulation : https://youtu.be/mrkqiRY3drU?list=PLMvJzVnMdhhvJQDT87dQSbZ68yzExp6PD
– Determine how much R-value you need for where you live : http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=home_sealing.hm_improvement_inspections#attic
– Check for other air leaks : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMvJzVnMdhhvJQDT87dQSbZ68yzExp6PD
Not enough insulation in your attic? Time to install more. Not sure if you can handle the job yourself? Watch this video to find out if you should DIY or hire a contractor: https://youtu.be/EAviffw4SFk?list=PLMvJzVnMdhhvJQDT87dQSbZ68yzExp6PD
Have the right levels of insulation? Way to go! Now be sure to check for air leaks, watch the other videos in our Rule Your Attic series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMvJzVnMdhhvJQDT87dQSbZ68yzExp6PD
Want to save money? Be sure to check for any ENERGY STAR partner rebates offered in your area: http://www.energystar.gov/rebate-finder
Take the ENERGY STAR pledge and track your energy efficient improvements at My ENERGY STAR: https://www.energystar.gov/campaign/myEnergyStar
Subscribe to the ENERGY STAR channel for more ideas to save energy: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=EPAENERGYSTAR
Visit us on social media…
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/energystar
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/energystar
Get ideas on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/energystar
Visit The Energy Source: http://www.energystar.gov/about/newsroom/the-energy-source
For more about EPA: http://www.epa.gov/
We accept comments according to our comment policy: http://blog.epa.gov/blog/comment-policy/
NOTE: This video only contains music. There are no captions available.