In this vine style video learn how to measure your attic insulation; having the right amount of attic insulation in your home will save money, save energy, make your home more comfortable, and reduce the emissions that contribute to climate change.
Adding insulation to the attic is generally a moderately difficult do it yourself (DIY) project, but the benefits can be substantial. The first step is to determine if you attic has enough insulation for where you live; start by measuring your attic insulation levels – in general, if you can see your joists, you need more insulation. With the right information and a quick look around your attic you’ll be able to make energy efficient improvements that help improve the energy efficiency of your home.
Here are the steps for measuring your attic insulation level:
1. Insert a ruler or a yardstick into your insulation, record the depth
2. If the insulation is uneven across the attic, take multiple measurements and average them
3. Take a photo of your attic insulation levels for your records and we’d love for you to share them with us at on social media (see below for links)
4. Determine how much R-value and insulation you need for where you live: https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=home_sealing.hm_improvement_insulation_table
5. Still want to know more on how to measure your attic insulation and want some personal instruction, learn more from ENERGY STAR’s Doug Anderson in this video: https://youtu.be/1i1vEkPz27E?list=PLMvJzVnMdhhvJQDT87dQSbZ68yzExp6PD
Have the right levels of insulation? Way to go! Now be sure to check for air leaks, watch the other videos in our Rule Your Attic series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMvJzVnMdhhvJQDT87dQSbZ68yzExp6PD
Not enough insulation in your attic? Time to install more. Not sure if you can handle the job yourself? Watch this video to find out if you should DIY or hire a contractor: https://youtu.be/EAviffw4SFk?list=PLMvJzVnMdhhvJQDT87dQSbZ68yzExp6PD
And be sure to check for any ENERGY STAR partner rebates offered in your area: http://www.energystar.gov/rebate-finder
Take the ENERGY STAR pledge and track your energy efficient improvements at My ENERGY STAR: https://www.energystar.gov/campaign/myEnergyStar
Subscribe to the ENERGY STAR channel for more ideas to save energy: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=EPAENERGYSTAR
Visit us on social media…
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/energystar
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/energystar
Get ideas on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/energystar
Visit The Energy Source: http://www.energystar.gov/about/newsroom/the-energy-source
For more about EPA: http://www.epa.gov/
We accept comments according to our comment policy: http://blog.epa.gov/blog/comment-policy/
NOTE: This video only contains music. There are no captions available.